Registration & Enrollment

  • Registration fees must be paid prior to each term. Fees can be paid by check, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover), or cash.

    View Schedule of Classes Calendar for specific dates. Questions regarding fees should be directed to the Registrar's Office at 1113 Murphy Hall, (310) 825-1091.

  • Only academic apprentices (e.g., TAs and Graduate Student Researchers) are eligible for fee deferrals. Apprentice teaching and research appointees are eligible to receive, on request, a deferment of registration fees (and nonresident tuition, if applicable). A fee deferral allows qualified students to postpone paying fees and nonresident tuition for two months beyond the stated deadline. See your departmental graduate advisor to request a fee deferral.

  • Graduate students planning on studying or conducting research outside of California can petition for In Absentia Registration to receive a reduction of one-half of the campus registration fees. For more information see petitions on the Degree Information page.

  • To enroll in classes and to drop or add classes, students use the MyUCLA portal. Instructions for using URSA are contained in the Schedule of Classes.

  • Contact your instructor for approval. Upon approval of the course instructor, please contact Anna Lim at apark@ph.ucla.edu to get a PTE number.

  • Blue petitions are to be obtained from the Central Student Affairs Office in A1-269 CHS and are to be submitted to the Department Student Affairs Office in 31-236A CHS for approval of the chair.

  • Students may change their academic advisor by completing a blue petition form (both the current and new academic advisor must sign the blue petition approving the change) and submitting it to the Department Graduate Student Affairs office in 31-236A.

  • California residents do not pay nonresident tuition. Upon arrival in California, a student wishing to gain California tuition residency should establish ties with the state (i.e., get a driver's license/California ID, register automobile, register to vote, change the permanent address on University records to a California address, and file a resident tax return). Contact the Residence Deputy at 1113 Murphy Hall, (310) 825-3447, for more residency information; by University policy, only the Residence Deputy is authorized to apply and interpret policy on tuition residency.

  • Name changes should be reported to the Registrar's Office. Students are urged to maintain their own mailing, permanent, and email address listings online using MyUCLA. Changes can also be made; the revised documents can be obtained at 1113 Murphy Hall and at most student service offices in Murphy Hall.
     If your email and/or mailing address changes during the summer, you must notify UCLA via MyUCLA. You must also contact Anna Lim, the Student Affairs Officer, at apark@ph.ucla.edu with any changes. It is extremely important we have your most current addresses. All announcements will be sent to you via email.

  • To enroll in classes and to drop or add classes, students use MyUCLA, a web-based student system. For the most updated enrollment information, visit Schedule of Classes. Please refer to the Graduate Division Orientation Handbook, which contains more information about how to register, how to enroll and how to access MyUCLA online.

  • Annual tuition & fees for the MPH and DrPH Degree Programs can be accessed here.
    For the complete schedule of tuition & fees, visit the UCLA Registrar's Office website. Questions regarding California residency can be answered by visiting the Residence for Tuition Purposes page.

  • Annual tuition & fees for the MS and PhD Degree Programs can be accessed here.
    For the complete schedule of tuition & fees, visit the UCLA Registrar's Office website. Questions regarding California residency can be answered by visiting the Residence for Tuition Purposes page.

  • Please visit the UCLA Registrar’s Website to locate the Schedule of Classes.

  • Domestic students who are not Californiaresidents should establish residency to avoid assessment of non-resident tuition. In order to establish your residency, certain requirements must be met. Please refer to the Registrar's Office or call the Residence Deputy at (310) 825-1091, option 7, for complete details. It is extremely important to meet all requirements. Otherwise, you will have to pay non-resident tuition during your second year.

  • To begin an introduction to the campus, new international students should visit the UCLA Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars (DCISS) within the first 10 days upon arrival. The Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars provides services and programs to UCLA's international community. The services include personal counseling on visa and immigration issues, financial and tax matters, academic adjustment, insurance, and release of funds from other countries. The Center also supports international and intercultural programs which assists student and scholars to adjust to the community, including housing assistance, community services, friendship families and English conversation groups. The Center is located in theTomBradleyInternationalCenter at417 Charles Young Drive West,Los Angeles,CA90095-1379, (310) 825-1681.




Financial Support

  • Support based solely on financial need is provided, in the form of loans, grants, and—on a limited basis—work-study employment, from the Financial Aid Office. Students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents. For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office at A-129 Murphy Hall, (310) 206-0400. Support based on merit is available in the form of fellowships, traineeships, teaching assistantships, and graduate student researcher positions. These awards are open to all students—U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and international students—who have demonstrated high academic achievement. For more information, refer to the Financial Support for Entering Students or Graduate Student Financial Support for Continuing Students on the Graduate Division website and contact your departmental student affairs officer.

  • The deadline for loans and work-study funding available through the Financial Aid Office is March 1. The deadline for entering graduate students to apply for other forms of support is December 15. Departments should be consulted for exceptions. The campus deadlines for enrolled graduate students to apply for fellowships varies by program. View the  Graduate Student Financial Support for Continuing Students for specific dates. Consult your department for exceptions.

  • The Graduate Division allocates funding directly to graduate programs, which in turn select fellowship recipients through their faculty fellowship selection committees based on academic merit. Departments inform the Graduate Division of those students who have been chosen to receive awards for the next academic year, and the Graduate Division sends offers of support to those recipients. Tuition (including non-residenet supplemental tuition, if applicable) and fees fellowships are credited directly to students' BAR accounts, and fellowship living allowances (stipends) are issued as direct deposits.

  • Extramural funding originates from non-UCLA sources, such as federal agencies and private organizations. Most extramural fellowships require an application submitted directly to the sponsoring organization. Applications for some extramural fellowships are available in the Office of Graduate Outreach, Diversity, & Fellowships in 1252 Murphy Hall. The Graduate Division publishes an online guide called Graduate and Postdoctoral Extramural Support (GRAPES), which lists the more commonly sought fellowships that are available from non-UCLA sources. In addition, the Office of Graduate Outreach, Diversity, & Fellowships maintains a small library of reference materials on extramural funding. The Graduate Division also offers faculty assistance with extramural fellowship proposals. For information, contact the Office of Graduate Outreach, Diversity, & Fellowships at (310) 825-3521.

  • Students may not hold two major awards at the same time. When a student receives extramural funding, the amount of supplementary UCLA support is usually subject to limits. Contact the Office of Graduate Outreach, Diversity, & Fellowships in 1252 Murphy Hall, (310) 825-3521, for details.

  • Special funds are available for registered and enrolled students for partial support of dissertation research and travel to scholarly conferences. Consult the student affairs officer in your department or program.


Award Disbursement

  • Tuition and fee awards will automatically apply towards tuition and fees. Fellowship payments are sent to students' local mailing addresses, held for pickup, or direct-deposited several weeks before the start of the Fall term. Winter funds are disbursed approximately one week after January 1, and Spring funds are released several weeks before the start of the Spring Quarter. Monthly payments should arrive by the first day of the month. Questions regarding fellowship check disbursement/direct deposit may be directed to the Graduate Student Support Office, 1228 Murphy Hall, (310) 825-1025.

  • The Graduate Student Support Office at 1228 Murphy Hall will answer questions relating to BAR and disbursement of graduate award payments. BAR questions regarding Financial Aid awards (e.g., need-based grants) should be directed to the  Financial Aid Office at A129 Murphy Hall, and questions regarding loans should be directed to the Student Loan Office at A227 Murphy Hall.

  • Yes. Using MyUCLA, you can review your BAR statement activity; your scheduled financial aid, fellowships, remissions, and other awards; and the actual dates and amounts of your checks and direct deposits. In addition, you can check to see if you have holds on your account that are preventing the disbursement of funds, and you can ensure that all required financial documents have been completed for the Financial Aid Office and the Graduate Student Support Office.

  • Fellowship stipend income is taxed differently than most other types of income you may have encountered in the past. Funds spent on fees, tuition, or required course expenses are not taxable. However, the portion of fellowship stipend income you spend on items other than fees, tuition, and required course expenses will likely be considered taxable by the IRS. U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are California residents (for tax purposes) do not have taxes withheld from their fellowship stipend checks. Nonetheless, these individuals may be required to make estimated quarterly tax payments and to report the income on their tax returns. Foreign students and those who live outside of California and file tax returns as California nonresidents will have state and/or federal taxes withheld directly from their checks. Information about fellowship taxation is available in IRS Publication 520, "Scholarships and Fellowships," available for download from the IRS website. Another IRS publication available from the same website offers information on paying estimated tax when your residency status does not permit the tax to be withheld directly from your check: Publication 505, "Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax."

  • Students are advised to retain "Offer of Graduate Student Support" agreements, fellowship and traineeship offer letters, BAR monthly statements, payroll wage stubs, and other documents and receipts related to fellowship stipends and course expenses. View Tax Information and Forms for UCLA Award Recipients for information about UCLA fellowship tax withholding and reporting.


Academic Apprentice Personnel


Academic Standards


Student Life

  • Each student is required to have a BruinCard, which is the official UCLA identification card. In addition, this card will serve as your library card (when activated at the UCLA Library), your recreation facilities card, your debit card for purchases at UCLA food facilities and ASUCLA stores, and even as an AT&T calling and discount card. The first BruinCard is free to all students. The replacement cost for a lost/stolen card is $20, which will be charged to a student's BAR account, which can be accessed through URSA. To obtain your BruinCard, you'll need to take a valid form of identification (driver's license, passport, etc.) to one of the three BruinCard Centers located at 123 Kerckhoff Hall, 100A Sproul Hall, and Suite 107 in the Wilshire Center Building. For more information, visit here. BruinCard offices: 123 Kerckhoff Hall, (310) 825 - 2336, Hours: 9:00 am - 4:00 PM (Mon - Fri); 150-A Sproul Hall (SunsetPlaza ), (310) 825 - 4775, Hours: 9:00 am - 4:00 PM (Mon - Fri).

  • Once tuition and fees are paid, access to the library resources can be obtained at any campus library. Library privileges are free to all registered students. Computer facilities are also free to registered students who can establish an account by using a new user terminal at the CLICC Lab in the College Library or the Student Technology Center by Delta Terrace.

  • On-campus parking is limited, and applications for permits must be submitted annually to UCLA Parking Services, 555 Westwood Plaza, (310) 825-9871. Daily parking permits are also available at parking information booths found at various locations on campus. Information about student parking is available online at the Transportation and Parking website.

  • UCLA offers two off-campus apartment complexes: University Apartments North and University Apartments South. Information on housing is available at the Housing Office, 270 De Neve Drive, (310) 825-4271. Other apartments are available at the following numbers: Gayley Apartments, (310) 794-8600; Barrington/Manor, Sawtelle/Sepulveda, University Village, or Rose Avenue, (310) 398-4692; Keystone/Mentone, (310) 837-1373; and Venice/Barry, (310) 397-3517. The UCLA Community Housing Office offers listings of private off-campus housing, including rental vacancies and posted roommate notices. The Community Housing Office is located on the east patio of Sproul Hall, 350 De Neve Drive, (310) 825-4491.

  • UCLA Recreation offers state-of-the-art fitness activities, masters swim workouts, intramural and club sports, dozens of recreation classes, water sports at the Marina Aquatic Center, and open recreation at most campus facilities. For information, contact Cultural and Recreational Affairs at 2131 John Wooden Center, (310) 825-3701.

  • The Central Ticket Office, (310) 825-2101, sells tickets for all campus athletic and entertainment events. In order to obtain discounts for which students are eligible, you must present your BruinCard at the time of purchase so that your status may be validated. CTO also sells bus passes and discounted movie theatre tickets and other off-campus athletic, cultural, and entertainment events as well as discounts to several theme parks. In addition, most Westwood Village merchants and local movie theaters offer student discounts. For those seeking to purchase personal computers and software, the ASUCLA Computer Store offers educational discounts computers, equipment, and name-brand software.

  • On-campus jobs are listed in the UCLA Career Center, (310) 825-2981. Positions are also available with ASUCLA; for information contact the ASUCLA Personnel Office at 3519 Ackerman Union, (310) 825-7055. Academic apprentice appointments are handled at the department or program level. Please note that graduate students, by University policy, are permitted to work on campus no more than 50% time while registered and enrolled, and most foreign students on F1 and J1 visas are prohibited from working in excess of 50% time.

  • For lockers, within the Fielding School of Public Health, please visit the Student Affairs Office in A1-269 CHS. Lockers are assigned on a first come first served basis. Lockers must be renewed once a year at the beginning of Fall quarter.

  • To create a Bruin Online e-mail account, please visit here. All department announcements will be distributed via email once the academic year begins.

  • Options include vanpools, carpools, buspools, public transit, bicycles, scooters, and motorcycles. The BruinGo! program allows members of the UCLA community to ride the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus and Culver City Bus at a reduced fare by using their BruinCard. The Go Metro program offers discounted quarterly transit passes for Metro bus and rail lines. A comprehensive look at campus transportation options is outlined in the Green Commute Guide, published by the UCLA Commuter Assistance Ride-sharing (CAR) Office. For more information call (310) 794-7433 or stop by 555 Westwood Plaza, Room 200.


Other Questions


MPH - Admissions and Application Process

  • The MPH is a public health degree in which individuals emphasize a variety of areas among the classic public health functions. Our department focuses on health policy and management. It differs from a MHA because to obtain a MPH degree, the candidate must complete coursework in the core public health specialties of social and behavioral sciences, biostatistics, epidemiology, environmental health, and health policy and management. 

    Within that context, individuals interested in majoring in health policy and management can specialize. The UCLA MPH Program is accredited by the Council on Education in Public Health (CEPH). The healthcare management track is equivalent in its rigorous management preparation as a MHA but also provides the student with the fundamentals of public health, an important component of the context of health care delivery.

    A MHA is strictly a healthcare management degree that may or may not have any policy or public health related course content. The MHA is often given at many different types of schools such as public health, management, allied or community health or policy related programs. It is a management degree with a focus on health institutions. Some schools may provide public health or policy content, but it is not required to receive a MHA degree.


    A desirable MPH candidate is someone who has.

    • - Demonstrated commitment to the healthcare field
    • - Work experience in the healthcare industry or a related field
    • - Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
    • - Strong quantitative and analytical skills as demonstrated in undergraduate grades, previous coursework and on the GRE
    • - Evidence of leadership and achievement either in undergraduate activities, work experience or community service
    • - Evidence of initiative


  • A professional degree is designed to prepare the holder for a career or profession such as law, medicine and health, optometry, pharmacy, psychology, architecture, accounting, engineering, religious ministry, urban planning, or education. In these fields, the degree focuses on the acquisition of practical skills. This is in contrast to a research or academic degree that focuses on theory fields and where scholarly research and academic activity are the primary work.

  • See the SPH Application Checklist for instructions.

  • See the SPH Application Checklist for instructions.

  • See the SPH Application Checklist for instructions.

  • Applicants from other countries are held to the same admissions standards as applicants from the United States. In addition, international applicants are expected to have an excellent command of the English language before beginning studies at UCLA. All international applicants are required to submit official records from each academic institution attended as well as official TOEFL Scores. For more information on what is required of international applicants, visit here

  • The one- and two-year MPH programs are designed to be full-time. Classes take place during the day and students enroll in 12-16 units each quarter. Some students may take three years to complete the degree. However, the program cost doesn't change if the student decides to take fewer courses each quarter.

  • The Executive MPH Program in the Department of Health Policy and Management has classes on weekends. This program is geared more toward working professionals.

  • Admission to the MPH program in Health Services Organization is limited to students with prior doctoral-level degrees (MD, PhD, JD, DDS, or equivalent). Applicants with doctoral degrees from other countries should plan to take the two-year program.

  • If you are interested in a concurrent degree program, you must apply to each school separately. Admission to one school does not guarantee admission into the other. Please contact the school of your choice directly for its application information.

  • See the SPH FAQ.

  • No. The GRE is required for all applicants. MCAT or DAT scores are accepted for applicants already holding MD or DDS degrees, or currently enrolled in medical or dental school. GMAT scores are accepted only for applicants to the joint MPH/MBA program and LSAT scores are accepted only for applicants to the joint MPH/JD program.

  • See the SPH FAQ.

  • Please See SPH FAQ.

  • After a student receives his/her admission decision, he/she is considered for financial awards on the basis of need and merit.

  • Yes. Although no formal interview is required for admission, you can feel free to look at the Health Policy and Management faculty list and make an appointment to meet with a professor or program director. The Fielding School of Public Health also hosts a Visit Day in March at which the students have the opportunity to meet with faculty members. If you'd like to set up an appointment with someone in the Department of Health Policy and Management, contact Anna Lim at apark@ph.ucla.edu

  • If you have questions regarding the status or completeness of your application, contact Sukhwinder Sagoo at sagoo@ph.ucla.edu.
    If you have questions after you've been notified that your file is with the Health Policy and Management Department, contact Anna Lim at apark@ph.ucla.edu

  • If you submitted your application by the December 1 deadline, you should receive your admission decision in March.


MPH - After You're Admitted


MPH - Life in the Program


MPH - As a UCLA MPH Graduate