Registration & Enrollment

When are registration fees due each term?

Registration fees must be paid prior to each term. Fees can be paid by check, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover), or cash.

View Schedule of Classes Calendar for specific dates. Questions regarding fees should be directed to the Registrar's Office at 1113 Murphy Hall, (310) 825-1091.

Can registration fees be deferred?

Only academic apprentices (e.g., TAs and Graduate Student Researchers) are eligible for fee deferrals. Apprentice teaching and research appointees are eligible to receive, on request, a deferment of registration fees (and nonresident tuition, if applicable). A fee deferral allows qualified students to postpone paying fees and nonresident tuition for two months beyond the stated deadline. See your departmental graduate advisor to request a fee deferral.

Why would students request In Absentia Registration?

Graduate students planning on studying or conducting research outside of California can petition for In Absentia Registration to receive a reduction of one-half of the campus registration fees. For more information see petitions on the Degree Information page.

How do students enroll in, drop, or add classes?

To enroll in classes and to drop or add classes, students use the MyUCLA portal. Instructions for using URSA are contained in the Schedule of Classes.

Where do I obtain a PTE number to enroll in a class?

Contact your instructor for approval. Upon approval of the course instructor, please contact Anna Lim at apark@ph.ucla.edu to get a PTE number.

Where do you obtain the Blue Petition?

Blue petitions are to be obtained from the Central Student Affairs Office in A1-269 CHS and are to be submitted to the Department Student Affairs Office in 31-236A CHS for approval of the chair.

How do I change my faculty Academic Advisor?

Students may change their academic advisor by completing a blue petition form (both the current and new academic advisor must sign the blue petition approving the change) and submitting it to the Department Graduate Student Affairs office in 31-236A.

Why should out-of-state students seek California residency for tuition purposes?

California residents do not pay nonresident tuition. Upon arrival in California, a student wishing to gain California tuition residency should establish ties with the state (i.e., get a driver's license/California ID, register automobile, register to vote, change the permanent address on University records to a California address, and file a resident tax return). Contact the Residence Deputy at 1113 Murphy Hall, (310) 825-3447, for more residency information; by University policy, only the Residence Deputy is authorized to apply and interpret policy on tuition residency.

Where should students report name or address changes?

Name changes should be reported to the Registrar's Office. Students are urged to maintain their own mailing, permanent, and email address listings online using MyUCLA. Changes can also be made; the revised documents can be obtained at 1113 Murphy Hall and at most student service offices in Murphy Hall.
 If your email and/or mailing address changes during the summer, you must notify UCLA via MyUCLA. You must also contact Anna Lim, the Student Affairs Officer, at apark@ph.ucla.edu with any changes. It is extremely important we have your most current addresses. All announcements will be sent to you via email.

How do I register, enroll, add or drop courses, and access MyUCLA?

To enroll in classes and to drop or add classes, students use MyUCLA, a web-based student system. For the most updated enrollment information, visit Schedule of Classes. Please refer to the Graduate Division Orientation Handbook, which contains more information about how to register, how to enroll and how to access MyUCLA online.

What are the tuition & fees for the Professional Degrees?

Annual tuition & fees for the MPH and DrPH Degree Programs can be accessed here.
For the complete schedule of tuition & fees, visit the UCLA Registrar's Office website. Questions regarding California residency can be answered by visiting the Residence for Tuition Purposes page.

What are the tuition & fees for the Graduate Student Degrees?

Annual tuition & fees for the MS and PhD Degree Programs can be accessed here.
For the complete schedule of tuition & fees, visit the UCLA Registrar's Office website. Questions regarding California residency can be answered by visiting the Residence for Tuition Purposes page.

How do I find out which courses will be offered each quarter?

Please visit the UCLA Registrar’s Website to locate the Schedule of Classes.

How do I establish California residency?

Domestic students who are not Californiaresidents should establish residency to avoid assessment of non-resident tuition. In order to establish your residency, certain requirements must be met. Please refer to the Registrar's Office or call the Residence Deputy at (310) 825-1091, option 7, for complete details. It is extremely important to meet all requirements. Otherwise, you will have to pay non-resident tuition during your second year.

Where do I find more information on International Students?

To begin an introduction to the campus, new international students should visit the UCLADashewCenterfor International Students and Scholars (DCISS) within the first 10 days upon arrival. The Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars provides services and programs to UCLA's international community. The services include personal counseling on visa and immigration issues, financial and tax matters, academic adjustment, insurance, and release of funds from other countries. The Center also supports international and intercultural programs which assists student and scholars to adjust to the community, including housing assistance, community services, friendship families and English conversation groups. The Center is located in theTomBradleyInternationalCenter at417 Charles Young Drive West,Los Angeles,CA90095-1379, (310) 825-1681.


Where do I make changes to my Advancement to Candidacy Form?
Visit Josie Wei in the School of Public Health Central Student Affairs Office at A1-269 CHS.
Where do I pick up the graduation tickets?

Tickets are given out to graduating students by the Central Student Affairs Office in A1-269 CHS (Josie Wei). More specific information will be provided to students at the mandatory graduation workshop which are normally held in February.

When and how do I pick up my diploma upon graduation?

Your diploma is ready after 12 weeks upon graduation. You may pick it up after the 12th week from 1113 Murphy Hall. If you prefer to have it mailed to you, fill out the Diploma Mail Request Form from the  Registrar’s Forms Website.

Financial Support

What types of financial support are available?

Support based solely on financial need is provided, in the form of loans, grants, and—on a limited basis—work-study employment, from the Financial Aid Office. Students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents. For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office at A-129 Murphy Hall, (310) 206-0400. Support based on merit is available in the form of fellowships, traineeships, teaching assistantships, and graduate student researcher positions. These awards are open to all students—U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and international students—who have demonstrated high academic achievement. For more information, refer to the Financial Support for Entering Students or Graduate Student Financial Support for Continuing Students on the Graduate Division website and contact your departmental student affairs officer.

What are the deadlines for applying for financial support?

The deadline for loans and work-study funding available through the Financial Aid Office is March 1. The deadline for entering graduate students to apply for other forms of support is December 15. Departments should be consulted for exceptions. The campus deadlines for enrolled graduate students to apply for fellowships varies by program. View the  Graduate Student Financial Support for Continuing Students for specific dates. Consult your department for exceptions.

How is Graduate Division funding distributed?

The Graduate Division allocates funding directly to graduate programs, which in turn select fellowship recipients through their faculty fellowship selection committees based on academic merit. Departments inform the Graduate Division of those students who have been chosen to receive awards for the next academic year, and the Graduate Division sends offers of support to those recipients. Tuition (including non-residenet supplemental tuition, if applicable) and fees fellowships are credited directly to students' BAR accounts, and fellowship living allowances (stipends) are issued as direct deposits.

How does a student apply for extramural fellowships?

Extramural funding originates from non-UCLA sources, such as federal agencies and private organizations. Most extramural fellowships require an application submitted directly to the sponsoring organization. Applications for some extramural fellowships are available in the Office of Graduate Outreach, Diversity, & Fellowships in 1252 Murphy Hall. The Graduate Division publishes an online guide called Graduate and Postdoctoral Extramural Support (GRAPES), which lists the more commonly sought fellowships that are available from non-UCLA sources. In addition, the Office of Graduate Outreach, Diversity, & Fellowships maintains a small library of reference materials on extramural funding. The Graduate Division also offers faculty assistance with extramural fellowship proposals. For information, contact the Office of Graduate Outreach, Diversity, & Fellowships at (310) 825-3521.

Does getting extramural funding affect a student's support from UCLA?
Students may not hold two major awards at the same time. When a student receives extramural funding, the amount of supplementary UCLA support is usually subject to limits. Contact the Office of Graduate Outreach, Diversity, & Fellowships in 1252 Murphy Hall, (310) 825-3521, for details.
Is funding available for conference travel and research expenses?

Special funds are available for registered and enrolled students for partial support of dissertation research and travel to scholarly conferences. Consult the student affairs officer in your department or program.

Award Disbursement

How and when do students get their fellowship money?

Tuition and fee awards will automatically apply towards tuition and fees. Fellowship payments are sent to students' local mailing addresses, held for pickup, or direct-deposited several weeks before the start of the Fall term. Winter funds are disbursed approximately one week after January 1, and Spring funds are released several weeks before the start of the Spring Quarter. Monthly payments should arrive by the first day of the month. Questions regarding fellowship check disbursement/direct deposit may be directed to the Graduate Student Support Office, 1228 Murphy Hall, (310) 825-1025.

Where should students go with questions regarding BAR statements and graduate award payments?

The Graduate Student Support Office at 1228 Murphy Hall will answer questions relating to BAR and disbursement of graduate award payments. BAR questions regarding Financial Aid awards (e.g., need-based grants) should be directed to the  Financial Aid Office at A129 Murphy Hall, and questions regarding loans should be directed to the Student Loan Office at A227 Murphy Hall.

Can I view online my financial information, scheduled payments, and direct deposits?

Yes. Using MyUCLA, you can review your BAR statement activity; your scheduled financial aid, fellowships, remissions, and other awards; and the actual dates and amounts of your checks and direct deposits. In addition, you can check to see if you have holds on your account that are preventing the disbursement of funds, and you can ensure that all required financial documents have been completed for the Financial Aid Office and the Graduate Student Support Office.

Do students have to pay taxes on fellowships?

Fellowship stipend income is taxed differently than most other types of income you may have encountered in the past. Funds spent on fees, tuition, or required course expenses are not taxable. However, the portion of fellowship stipend income you spend on items other than fees, tuition, and required course expenses will likely be considered taxable by the IRS. U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are California residents (for tax purposes) do not have taxes withheld from their fellowship stipend checks. Nonetheless, these individuals may be required to make estimated quarterly tax payments and to report the income on their tax returns. Foreign students and those who live outside of California and file tax returns as California nonresidents will have state and/or federal taxes withheld directly from their checks. Information about fellowship taxation is available in IRS Publication 520, "Scholarships and Fellowships," available for download from the IRS website. Another IRS publication available from the same website offers information on paying estimated tax when your residency status does not permit the tax to be withheld directly from your check: Publication 505, "Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax."

Who can answer tax questions concerning fellowships?

Students are advised to retain "Offer of Graduate Student Support" agreements, fellowship and traineeship offer letters, BAR monthly statements, payroll wage stubs, and other documents and receipts related to fellowship stipends and course expenses. View Tax Information and Forms for UCLA Award Recipients for information about UCLA fellowship tax withholding and reporting.

Academic Apprentice Personnel

What are the responsibilities of a special reader or graduate student researcher?

Graduate Student Researchers (GSR) assist faculty members with scholarly research and may or may not collaborate in the publication of research results.
Special readers assist faculty members who are teaching courses with the reading and grading of students' papers and exams in upper division and graduate courses. 

For more information view the Academic Apprentice Personnel Manual.

What are the requirements apprentices must meet to receive fee remissions?

The following standards must be met in order for students to receive academic apprentice fee remissions: (1) Students must register and enroll by the third week of the quarter (registration and enrollment must also be maintained throughout the quarter); (2) appointment(s) must total 25% time or more for the quarter; (3) students must work hours equivalent to 25% time in apprentice titles in a given quarter (usually 106-110 hours); (4) students are expected to enroll in at least 12 units to receive health insurance and fee remissions. In addition, students must maintain a 3.0 GPA to be appointed as an apprentice and may not work more than 12 quarters as an academic student employee (ASE) or more than 18 quarters in all apprentice titles combined.

What is the maximum appointment percentage that I am allowed to work on any given quarter?

Graduate Students are allowed to have a maximum of a 50% appointment on any given quarter. Students receiving Special Graduate Division Fellowship Funding may have different restrictions. Please check your award letter for restrictions.

Where can I find more information on academic apprentice opportunities?

Anticipated student employee openings for the academic year are available online on the Academic Student Employees (ASE) Appointment Opportunities page.

Are academic apprentice appointees eligible for benefits?

Academic apprentice appointees are eligible for fee remissions, medical insurance, and fee remissions can be requested. See your departmental student affairs officer to request a fee deferral. For details on these benefits consult the Academic Apprentice Personnel Manual.

Can I work over 50%?

Graduate Students may be allowed to have an appointment over 50% by obtaining an official exception from Graduate Division. Students will need to coordinate with the Department Graduate Student Affairs Officer in 31-236A so that the exception can be submitted to Graduate Division. Students will need to obtain permission from the Program Director in order to request to work over 50%.

Academic Standards

What are the requirements for graduate degrees?

Degree requirements are outlined in Program Requirements for Graduate Degrees at UCLA. While most of these requirements are quite specific and students are usually held to them, in some instances there may be room to accommodate special academic needs via petition. For specific details, students should consult the department or program.

How do students determine if they are performing work at the level required by their degree program(s)?

A University minimum grade point average of 3.0 is required to remain in good academic standing and a 3.0 average is required in all courses to be applied toward a graduate degree. Some departments have more stringent requirements, and the student should consult the department regarding academic standards. Also, departments and programs often list specific timeline expectations for completion of degree requirements under "Time to Degree" in Program Requirements for Graduate Degrees at UCLA.

Student Life

How do I obtain a BruinCard (UCLA ID Card)?

Each student is required to have a BruinCard, which is the official UCLA identification card. In addition, this card will serve as your library card (when activated at the UCLA Library), your recreation facilities card, your debit card for purchases at UCLA food facilities and ASUCLA stores, and even as an AT&T calling and discount card. The first BruinCard is free to all students. The replacement cost for a lost/stolen card is $20, which will be charged to a student's BAR account, which can be accessed through URSA. To obtain your BruinCard, you'll need to take a valid form of identification (driver's license, passport, etc.) to one of the three BruinCard Centers located at 123 Kerckhoff Hall, 100A Sproul Hall, and Suite 107 in the Wilshire Center Building. For more information, visit here. BruinCard offices: 123 Kerckhoff Hall, (310) 825 - 2336, Hours: 9:00 am - 4:00 PM (Mon - Fri); 150-A Sproul Hall (SunsetPlaza ), (310) 825 - 4775, Hours: 9:00 am - 4:00 PM (Mon - Fri).


How do students get access to library and computer facilities?

Once tuition and fees are paid, access to the library resources can be obtained at any campus library. Library privileges are free to all registered students. Computer facilities are also free to registered students who can establish an account by using a new user terminal at the CLICC Lab in the College Library or the Student Technology Center by Delta Terrace.

How do students get parking on campus?

On-campus parking is limited, and applications for permits must be submitted annually to UCLA Parking Services, 555 Westwood Plaza, (310) 825-9871. Daily parking permits are also available at parking information booths found at various locations on campus. Information about student parking is available online at the Transportation and Parking website.

What housing options are available to graduate students?

UCLA offers two off-campus apartment complexes: University Apartments North and University Apartments South. Information on housing is available at the Housing Office, 270 De Neve Drive, (310) 825-4271. Other apartments are available at the following numbers: Gayley Apartments, (310) 794-8600; Barrington/Manor, Sawtelle/Sepulveda, University Village, or Rose Avenue, (310) 398-4692; Keystone/Mentone, (310) 837-1373; and Venice/Barry, (310) 397-3517. The UCLA Community Housing Office offers listings of private off-campus housing, including rental vacancies and posted roommate notices. The Community Housing Office is located on the east patio of Sproul Hall, 350 De Neve Drive, (310) 825-4491.

What recreational activities are offered at UCLA?

UCLA Recreation offers state-of-the-art fitness activities, masters swim workouts, intramural and club sports, dozens of recreation classes, water sports at the Marina Aquatic Center, and open recreation at most campus facilities. For information, contact Cultural and Recreational Affairs at 2131 John Wooden Center, (310) 825-3701.

What discounts are available to me as a student?

The Central Ticket Office, (310) 825-2101, sells tickets for all campus athletic and entertainment events. In order to obtain discounts for which students are eligible, you must present your BruinCard at the time of purchase so that your status may be validated. CTO also sells bus passes and discounted movie theatre tickets and other off-campus athletic, cultural, and entertainment events as well as discounts to several theme parks. In addition, most Westwood Village merchants and local movie theaters offer student discounts. For those seeking to purchase personal computers and software, the ASUCLA Computer Store offers educational discounts computers, equipment, and name-brand software.

How can a student find employment on campus?

On-campus jobs are listed in the UCLA Career Center, (310) 825-2981. Positions are also available with ASUCLA; for information contact the ASUCLA Personnel Office at 3519 Ackerman Union, (310) 825-7055. Academic apprentice appointments are handled at the department or program level. Please note that graduate students, by University policy, are permitted to work on campus no more than 50% time while registered and enrolled, and most foreign students on F1 and J1 visas are prohibited from working in excess of 50% time.

How can a student obtain lockers?

For lockers, within the School of Public Health, please contact the assistant of Dean via email at fsph_assistant@ph.ucla.edu or by phone at 310-825-6381. Lockers are assigned on a first come first served basis. Lockers must be renewed once a year at the beginning of Fall quarter.

How can I create a BruinOnline email account?

To create a Bruin Online e-mail account, please visit here. All department announcements will be distributed via email once the academic year begins. 


What other means of transportation are available?

Options include vanpools, carpools, buspools, public transit, bicycles, scooters, and motorcycles. The BruinGo! program allows members of the UCLA community to ride the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus and Culver City Bus at a reduced fare by using their BruinCard. The Go Metro program offers discounted quarterly transit passes for Metro bus and rail lines. A comprehensive look at campus transportation options is outlined in the Green Commute Guide, published by the UCLA Commuter Assistance Ride-sharing (CAR) Office. For more information call (310) 794-7433 or stop by 555 Westwood Plaza, Room 200.

Other Questions

Where are the accessible Libraries?

Louis M. Darling Biomedical Library

12-077 Center for Health Sciences

Rosenfeld Library

110 Westwood Plaza

Charles E. Young Research Library

Charles E. Young Research Library Building

Powell Library

Powell Library Building Room 220

How do you reserve the Roemer Library?

Health Services Library is located in 31-262 CHS. You can reserve the HS library by e-mailing Kathy Yi at kyi@ph.ucla.edu. You will receive an email confirmation if the library is available.

How do you reserve the Dean’s Conference Room?

These rooms are available for use by School of Public Health faculty, staff and students. These rooms are not to be used for recurring classes, except for our executive programs. Otherwise, the rooms are to be used expressly for meetings, conferences and any other academic or administrative events.

 To check availability or to reserve any conference room, please work with Kathy Yi at kyi@ph.ucla.edu. Your e-mail should include your name, program you are in, purpose of the meeting, how many people will attend, and specific dates and times.

MPH - Admissions and Application Process

How is a MPH different than a MHA??

The MPH is a public health degree in which individuals emphasize a variety of areas among the classic public health functions. Our department focuses on health policy and management. It differs from a MHA because to obtain a MPH degree, the candidate must complete coursework in the core public health specialties of social and behavioral sciences, biostatistics, epidemiology, environmental health, and health policy and management. 

Within that context, individuals interested in majoring in health policy and management can specialize. The UCLA MPH Program is accredited by the Council on Education in Public Health (CEPH). The healthcare management track is equivalent in its rigorous management preparation as a MHA but also provides the student with the fundamentals of public health, an important component of the context of health care delivery.

A MHA is strictly a healthcare management degree that may or may not have any policy or public health related course content. The MHA is often given at many different types of schools such as public health, management, allied or community health or policy related programs. It is a management degree with a focus on health institutions. Some schools may provide public health or policy content, but it is not required to receive a MHA degree.

What characteristics/qualities make a desirable MPH program candidate?

A desirable MPH candidate is someone who has.
- Demonstrated commitment to the healthcare field
- Work experience in the healthcare industry or a related field
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills as demonstrated in undergraduate grades, previous coursework and on the GRE
- Evidence of leadership and achievement either in undergraduate activities, work experience or community service
- Evidence of initiative

What is a professional degree?

A professional degree is designed to prepare the holder for a career or profession such as law, medicine and health, optometry, pharmacy, psychology, architecture, accounting, engineering, religious ministry, urban planning, or education. In these fields, the degree focuses on the acquisition of practical skills. This is in contrast to a research or academic degree that focuses on theory fields and where scholarly research and academic activity are the primary work.

Where and How do I apply?

See the SPH Application Checklist for instructions.

Where do I submit my supplemental material?

See the SPH Application Checklist for instructions.

Do I need to complete both the Graduate Division and SOPHAS application?

See the SPH Application Checklist for instructions.

What are the requirements for international applicants?

Applicants from other countries are held to the same admissions standards as applicants from the United States. In addition, international applicants are expected to have an excellent command of the English language before beginning studies at UCLA. All international applicants are required to submit official records from each academic institution attended as well as official TOEFL Scores. For more information on what is required of international applicants, visit here

Can I do an MPH as a part-time student?

The one- and two-year MPH programs are designed to be full-time. Classes take place during the day and students enroll in 12-16 units each quarter. Some students may take three years to complete the degree. However, the program cost doesn't change if the student decides to take fewer courses each quarter.

Is there an evening program?

The Executive MPH Program in the Department of Health Policy and Management has classes on weekends. This program is geared more toward working professionals.

Do I qualify for the one-year MPH in Health Services Organization?

Admission to the MPH program in Health Services Organization is limited to students with prior doctoral-level degrees (MD, PhD, JD, DDS, or equivalent). Applicants with doctoral degrees from other countries should plan to take the two-year program.

What do I have to do if I am interested in a concurrent degree program?
If you are interested in a concurrent degree program, you must apply to each school separately. Admission to one school does not guarantee admission into the other. Please contact the school of your choice directly for its application information.
Do I need to take the GRE?

See the SPH FAQ.

Can I apply without having taken the GRE?

No. The GRE is required for all applicants. MCAT or DAT scores are accepted for applicants already holding MD or DDS degrees, or currently enrolled in medical or dental school. GMAT scores are accepted only for applicants to the joint MPH/MBA program and LSAT scores are accepted only for applicants to the joint MPH/JD program.

Do I need to take the TOEFL exam?

See the SPH FAQ.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Please See SPH FAQ.

Do you award scholarships to students?
After a student receives his/her admission decision, he/she is considered for financial awards on the basis of need and merit.
Can I meet with a professors or program director prior to applying?

Yes. Although no formal interview is required for admission, you can feel free to look at the Health Policy and Management faculty list and make an appointment to meet with a professor or program director. The Fielding School of Public Health also hosts a Visit Day in March at which the students have the opportunity to meet with faculty members. If you'd like to set up an appointment with someone in the Department of Health Policy and Management, contact Anna Lim at apark@ph.ucla.edu

Who do I contact if I have any questions during the application process?

If you have questions regarding the status or completeness of your application, contact Sukhwinder Sagoo at sagoo@ph.ucla.edu.
If you have questions after you've been notified that your file is with the Health Policy and Management Department, contact Anna Lim at apark@ph.ucla.edu

When will I hear about admission decisions?

If you submitted your application by the December 1 deadline, you should receive your admission decision in March.

MPH - After You're Admitted

Do I need to take any prerequisite courses?

Unless you are notified by the Department of Health Policy and Management, no prerequisite courses are required for the MPH program. Applicants whose undergraduate or graduate work in the biological, physical, mathematical and social sciences does not constitute adequate preparation for the MPH may be asked to include courses in those sciences that may not be applied toward the minimum requirements for the degree.

What are the program requirements?

Each program has different course & unit requirements. Please visit the appropriate Academic Programs page to learn about required courses.

Can I transfer courses taken at another university?

No. Students may not transfer courses or units from another university.

Can I waive out of courses taken at another university?

Yes. A student may waive out of a required course at the Fielding School of Public Health if he/she has taken an equivalent course at another university. However, even if the required course is waived, the units are not counted toward completion of the MPH degree, so the student should take the appropriate number of units as an elective. The student must file a blue petition and provide a copy of the course syllabus and transcript to his/her advisor and the current professor for the class at UCLA. Petitions are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Can I transfer courses taken at UCLA as an undergraduate?

No. However, a student may waive out of a required course. Please note that if the required course is waived, the units are not counted toward completion of the MPH degree, so the student should take the appropriate number of units as an elective.

Can I transfer courses taken through UCLA Extension?
Yes. If the courses were not used toward a certificate or other degree program, up to two courses (8 units) of the appropriate level may be transferred. Filing a Blue Petition is required.
What opportunities are there for me to be a Special Reader/Teacher Assistant?

 Generally, doctoral students serve as special readers and teaching assistants. However, announcements for these opportunities are emailed to all currently enrolled students on a quarterly basis and the instructor will choose who will serve as the Special Reader/Teaching Assistant.

Can I work full time while I work on my MPH?
Since the one- and two-year MPH programs are designed to be full time, students are not encouraged to work 40 hours per week.
When do classes begin?

Visit the Academic Calendar to see when classes begin.

When will I find out about orientation?
Orientation materials are mailed during August.
Where do I go to pay for my tuition and fees?

Before school starts in September, you will need to pay all fees using MyUCLA. You will be able to gain access to this system once you have created your UCLA username and password.

Who do I contact if I have any questions after I'm admitted?

If you have questions after you're admitted, contact Anna Lim at apark@ph.ucla.edu

What is a professional fee?

The Fielding School of Public Health is a professional school.  An additional fee is assigned to students who are enrolled in any professional school across the UCLA Campus.  For detailed fee listing, click here

MPH - Life in the Program

What student involvement activities are available on campus?

In the School of Public Health students can join the Health Policy and Management Student Association, the Public Health Student Association and the Students of Color for Public Health.

Do students work while they're in the MPH program? If so, how much?
Some students choose to work while they're in the MPH Program but generally work less than 20 hours per week. After students complete their summer internships, many of them continue to work at their field study sites during the second year of the program.
Will I receive any help when I start to look for a summer field study placement?
Yes. The MPH Program Director plays an integral role in helping first-year students find a field study placement. She meets with students, starting in the Winter Quarter, to learn about their interests and will connect them with professionals who are looking for summer interns.
What kind of career guidance will I receive when I start to look for a job?

During the academic year, the Career Services Office hosts many events that network current students with a wide variety of healthcare organizations. Job announcements are frequently disseminated via email.

What opportunities are there for students to network with alumni and local healthcare executives?

The Health Policy and Management Student Association (HPMSA) and Health Policy and Management Alumni Association (HPMAA) host networking events during the academic year to bring students together with local healthcare executives. HSSA, in particular, also organizes professional panels and on-the-job executive forums at which students have the opportunity to learn about many healthcare organizations in the Los Angeles area.

MPH - As a UCLA MPH Graduate

Where do students work after they graduate? What are their job titles?

MPH graduates work in a variety of policy and management healthcare settings. Here is a list of Recent MPH Graduates & Where They're Working.

How can I stay involved with UCLA and the Program after I graduate?

The Health Policy and Management Alumni Association (HPMAA) is committed to furthering the mission of the Department of Health Policy and Management and the Fielding School of Public Health. Other Alumni groups are listed on the Alumni Information page.

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer